Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Cloud of Virtual Witnesses

I've been thinking a lot about Facebook (FB) in relationship with community.  My FB friends are people I know or have at least met face to face and has been helpful in reconnecting with people I don't know if I would have found otherwise  There's an abstract quality to my interactions on FB--I type letters on a screen, immersed in the world of my thoughts contained within my head.  These people I've met are pictures on my screen--I can't hear their voice or see their facial expressions or read their subtle, unspoken body language.  We don't physically touch.  Yet this week I've felt especially supported by my FB community.  I posted a status update about this class and marveled at the generous, thoughtful, and helpful responses from my friends.  They want to encourage, they're invested and want me to be successful in my ventures.  Through their care I feel embraced, supported and lifted up in this cloud of virtual witnesses.

http://www.facebook.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment