Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

MySpace and Facebook

White Flight in Networked Publics by dana boyd http://www.danah.org/papers/2009/WhiteFlightDraft3.pdf

I've always been rather slow to adopt new technology.  I first opened up a My Space account so that I could keep track of my brother and sister.  Later, I moved to Facebook, basically because my friends did.  I found it to be a little easier to use and it was where all my friends were.  After reading boyd's article I took a look at my friend list.  Of my 150 friends, four people are of African-American descent (all college educated) and two are Latina (also college educated).  We are all well into our thirties and beyond, which makes us a smaller community within Facebook.  I'm realizing more and more just how systemic racism is.  Privledge plus power really does equal racism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment