Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

New Wedding Shoes

My sister recently announced, over FB, that she was getting married.  Miranda is seven years younger than me and lives in Houston, where she's lived since she was 19.  While we have a good relationship, we don't communicate as often as I'd like.  So I was overjoyed when Miranda asked if she, Paul--her fiance, and Claire--Paul's sister, could come for a visit.  It had been at least a couple of years since I last saw my sister.  Over the week my sister and I reconnected, noticing similarities in each other's faces, certain gestures, turns of phrase, that just must have been a sister thing.  It feels so good to reflect back on family stories, reveling in our connection, our blood.  I've watched my sister grow up, seen her struggle in her teen years and early part of adulthood--struggling to come into her own as a person.  Now she's entering into a new phase of her life as she and Paul plan the beginning of the rest of their life together.  Never have I seen Miranda more happy and centered finding in Paul the counterbalance needed in life.  Even though the two of them wouldn't find themselves comfortable within the confines of Christianity, I see God beautifully reflected in the two of them and in their care and love for each other.  When Miranda left, she hugged me hard and began to cry.  She said, "I'm so proud of you, you're doing such great things with your life".  I told her I loved her and I was so glad she was my sister, and as they walked out the door of our apartment building, I told Paul to take care of her.  I'm asking him to hold her with care, to keep her safe, to share her confidences, and to bring her back to me soon.  Claire remarked that through this trip she's found new family.  Paul and Claire have moved into the widening of my heart, becoming new family.  I'm excited to have a brother-in-law and I'm very much looking forward to making a 20 hour road trip this June to celebrate with them this new beginning.  This occasion calls for a new pair of shoes--sparkly and new, unique and unusual.  I found just the pair and they came in the mail today.  Whadya think?

No comments:

Post a Comment