Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Is anybody out there?

I've been thinking more about blogging since our Proactive Min. in a Media Culture had a discussion regarding blogging and the tension between openness and transparency and privacy.  I haven't had a problem with blogging, although I did google myself this morning to see what came up.  You can't see any Facebook information on me unless you're a friend, and I have a photo and desciption of myself on the ELM's (Extraordinary Lutheran Ministry) website.  So if anyone is looking for me there not going to find much.  I tried my maiden name of Cara Schott and found even less. 
I've become more and more aware of how I want to act and behave as a total person--my "spiritual self" has become more integrated with my "day to day" self and how I conduct myself on FB isn't all that different to how I behave in church.  I share meaningful scripture on FB and use the word "ejaculate" in a sermon on the Incarnation.  But I haven't been as out as I'd like to be in my classes at Luther or in my blog. 
So here goes...I'm a lesbian in a publicly accountable lifelong monogamous relationship.  Maja and I were married in Aug. 2009 in Des Moines IA.  My mom threw a fit thinking we were going to create some big scene with the family that lives there.  We didn't. 
To be honest, sometimes when I write for my blog it feels like no one is reading this.  I've lost track of how many times I've gone on to post or to read over what I've written.  Just to clarify, I didn't just come out to shock my classmates into responding.  I'm just mulling over thoughts and mostly procrastinating finishing my sermon. 
So, Mary and whoever else may be reading, I hope you're enjoying the bright sunshine and warmth of the weekend.  I'll see you all in class
Cara

2 comments:

  1. I'm here! I'm sure others are reading, too! When I read posts like this it reminds me of long discussions with friends about what it means to be "out" and when and how one comes "out." I think that all of these digital tools only make those questions all the more complicated. And yes, in between teaching my intensive course all weekend, I DID enjoy the sunshine. I hope you did, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cara, thank you for this story. I look forward to the time when "coming out" can literally mean simply "coming out" into the sunshine of a glorious day!

    ReplyDelete